Housing Choice Voucher Program
Notice: All contracts will be effective on the first of the month.
The Housing Choice Voucher Program (HCVP) is administered by the Housing Authority of the City of Slidell (HACS) on behalf of the U.S Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). HACS acts as an agent for HUD to processes applications, maintain a waiting list, certify participants annually as to their eligibility through income and family composition. The HACS is required to initially approve the unit as meeting housing quality standards (HQS) through an initial inspection. Annually, the HACS inspects the unit as long as the family is a participant in the program. In the case of HCVP, program participants are considered clients of the Authority; participants are not the HACS’s tenants.
The HACS’s responsibilities to the landlords participating in the program are to ensure that timely payments are made on behalf of their tenants and to inspect the units to make certain that it continues to meet HQS.
HCVP Waiting List
Currently the waiting list is closed until further notice.
When the waiting list is opened again, the notice will be published on our website and there will be a new process which will be described online. HACS will only be taking applications electronically. That will be the only means of submitting applications.
SHA does have a working local preference policy; as well as giving a preference to Slidell residents. That is, priority is given to heads of household, who are working and families that reside in Slidell upon making application. The only families exempt from these approved preferences are elderly and disabled. This does not prevent other families from applying; it simply means that the preference families, elderly and disabled will be processed as a priority.
To submit an application you must bring originals and copies of the following:
- Birth certificates - all household family members
- Social security cards - all household family members
- Custody papers, such as court awards, foster care judgments, etc., if appropriate
- Photo identifications for all household members over the age of 17
- If any family member is 18 years and older and a student, you must bring evidence of student status
- Child-care expenses for children while the head of household is at work or in school
- Name, address and telephone number of employer
- Four (4) current check stubs
- Source of income